Monday 18 March 2013

Share the books, the knowledge

Hello there guys,

I was cleaning up my house the other day and I couldn't help but notice the huge pile of books that I can't use or even sell. Well, I could sell them but they are worth more donated than sold. So I thought I would just keep collecting them until I have a mini library, or a whole library (hopefully) and afterwards send the books to schools I know are in Kenya, schools that I know are in need of books.

Before I came to Canada, I was a teacher in Kenya. I taught in two high schools, one of which was in dire need of books, stationery and even teachers. Most students would not afford to go a whole school year without having to forfeit a whole term all because their parents could not afford the already highly subsidized school fees. So affording the necessary books, let alone books for leisurely reading, was seen as a luxury.

It has been 3 years since I left Kenya and I can only imagine what the situation is with the weakening Shilling and the politics going on.

With your help, I would like to collect donated books and send them to these schools. The students will gain immensely from such material. They will also feel some motivation and a sense that Education really is an important thing. Another little but important thing they will benefit from is the broadening of perspective. I noticed first hand that the way books are written here is far more engaging and mind-opening compared to those used back home.

If you have any books you aren't using or are willing to donate please let me know.

Take a look and like our facebook page here. Also, spread the word to your friends.

Add me in Google+ and I will give you my address.

I am willing to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment